For Roku devices running on OS 8.1 or newer, in the United States, viewers could select * on the streaming devices and use the Google Assistant support. These possess the ability to control SMART DISPLAYS, SMART SPEAKERS and PHONES. The assistant also has the ability to find your favorite entertainment, be it a movie or a show, pause the TV in between a programming, launch HULU and much more.
Google Assistant on Roku
The Roku account lets you control the device using the Google Assistant device and by linking your Google Home app to the Roku account. Additionally, you can perform other commands such as controlling media playback, searching for relevant TV shows and movies. Apart from these, the assistant can also switch input facilities where required, control Roku’s ON and OFF facility, and the volume in the case of a Roku TV.
Some instructions you can give if you are using a Roku device are as follows
- Launch Channels
- Find documentaries
- Run some comedies
- PAUSE on the Roku
On the Roku TV use the Google Assistant to:
- Turn the Roku device on
- Turn the volume up, down or simply mute the device
- Change to channel 5.1
- Switch to another HDMI port on the Roku
Roku announcedits tie-up with Google even as Apple and Amazon were still trying to integrate their devices into the lives of the users. Viewers can apply voice commands through the Google Assistant to control the Roku TV. With the new OS 9 bringing some great new features into the device, speaking into the device will let you launch channels, search for content, Pause it and much more. On the Roku TV, you can adjust the volume, switch inputs and channels and even mute it.
Setup Google assistant on Roku
To know everything about the Google Assistant and how it works on Roku devices, the manufacturer has uploaded a complete guide on the website. You can view it by using an incognito window with Chrome. Generally, you can setup the device with the following process.
- Get a Roku account first, and update it to accompany the latest version of the software.
- On your Android or iOS device, go to the GOOGLE HOME app.
- From here, click on SET UP A NEW DEVICE.
- Roku will be listed as one of the providers along with other device options.
- Then, link both the GOOGLE HOME APP and the ROKU ACCOUNT.
- For these controls, notably, you can link only one Roku device to the Google account.
- To control your connected Roku device or TV after linking up, speak the command PAUSE ON ROKU and see if it is executed.
Models supported by Google Assistant
- All Roku TV models
- Roku Express 3700X and 3900X
- Express Plus 3710X and 3910X
- Roku Streaming Stick models 3600 and 3800X
- Streaming Stick Plus 3810X model only
- The Roku 2 4210X model
- Roku 3 4200X and 4230X and Roku 4 model 4400X
- Premiere device models 3920X and 4620X
- Premiere Plus 3921X and 4630X
- The Roku Ultra devices models 4640X, 4660X and 4661X