Watch Netflix on Roku
Probably America’s most dominant streaming channel, Netflix has long held the no. 1 position even before video on demand was even conceived. The small DVD delivery service turned into one of the leading providers of entertainment due to its iconic red envelope, a great collection of movies and TV shows and finally, an incredibly accurate suggestions algorithm. While it has applied some technologies to the streaming video on demand services, it has won acclaim for its enormous content library and more importantly, its originals. Today, users can conveniently Watch Netflix on Roku with a remote that comes with a quick-launch button to the service.
Netflix in the United States is available on some Roku devices such as Roku 2009 models, Roku 1, 2, 3, and 4, the MHL Stick, Streaming Stick, Roku TVs, Express, Express Plus, Premiere, Premiere Plus and finally the Roku Ultra. The Premiere and Ultra devices are capable of streaming in 4K. Most of these devices also come with subtitles, alternate audio and provide outputs at 5.1 Surround Sound.
Netflix’s interface is pretty easy to understand. Navigation is smooth and are the listings. Activate Netflix on Roku to browse through the movies and TV shows placed in rows. There is also a MY LIST section that lets your preview your own shows and place them here. Other rows include rows of Dramas, TV Shows, Comedies and much more.
Most of Netflix’s shows are in high definition. The stream also depends upon the speed of the internet connection. There is a maximum supported resolution at which Netflix is aired.Recommended internet connection speeds are as follows:
- The basic broadband connection speed should be at 0.5 Megabits / s
- Besides the above, the other workable connection at a higher speed is about 1.5 Megabits per second
- To stream SD quality, recommended speed is about 3.0 Megabits per second
- High Definition Netflix streaming requires your connection to be at a minimum of 5.0 Megabits per
- For Ultra HD quality streaming the recommended speed is 25 Megabits per second
You must have an HD plan and set your video quality settings to Auto or High to watch Netflix in HD. As long as you have connection speeds at 5.0 Megabits per second or higher, your titles will play in HD as well.
When you activate and Watch Netflix on Roku, you can actually enable alternate audio, closed captions and subtitles. The process for turning the subtitles and alternate audio on or off on the Roku is as follows:
- First, select the movie or TV Shows after opening the Netflix app
- From the DESCRIPTION page choose AUDIO & SUBTITLES
- Thereafter, choose options for your preferred audio and subtitles
- Return to the DESCRIPTION page after pressing the BACK button and then press PLAY
- Note: If your device does not support this feature, then you will not be able to complete the above steps